Sunday, March 26, 2006

marriage, erica jong and futebol/soccer

Today's Washington Post , by force of habit the only paper I read daily, has an interesting article on marriage:"Marriage is for white people" and in fact in another section white Erica Jung of "fear of flying" fame waxes poetic on the beauty of marriage, she of the zipless f*ck.

I'm somewhat of a soccer fan. I enjoy watching a good game and world class players do their magic with the spheric. Pele, Maradona, Eusebio, Maldini and Batistuta for their beauty, the english and germans for sheer raw power. My team, not by choice but by inheritance, is
F.C. Porto. Although I've not followed them recently being far far away, the symbol and the name still evoques powerful emotional images from my past. My dad's suffering, the world championship flag I got from a cousin who commited suicide shortly after they won it and the years I went down to the 5th floor of a Avenida da Liberdade in Porto, across the street from city hall to watch the celebrations of the many years of championship victries in the last decade of the 20th century. Sunday is a day for sports, it's a day for futebol, as is said in my original language and because today is sunday it is a good day for memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

What Kind of Blogger Are You?